2/07/2017

My Favorite First Lines



Who else loves first lines? Today I thought I would share with you my favorite first lines from the books I've read so far. I think a first line definitely sets the mood for the whole book, so it's really important. Here are my favourite first lines from books, I hope you enjoy it.


"Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood." 
(From The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan)
There is nothing like a book which starts with the narrator explaining himself that he doesn't wanted any of the book to happen. It just makes it more interesting.

"When I was twelve I broke my leg jumping off the wall between Canada and Germany,” I say, but the woman across from me doesn’t even blink."
 (From All fall down by Ally Carter): 
This is just one of those first lines I had to read so many times, before I understood it. It just sounds so crazy and this whole series is just crazy so, it's perfect.

"So here’s the file that almost killed me, Director."
(From Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff)
This first line just straight off made me excited for the whole book (even if I was already excited) and set the perfect mood for it. Not to mention that it describes the whole book perfectly in one sentence, but there is so much more behind it.

"Guilt is a hunter."
 (From Salt to the sea by Ruta Sepetys)
As I said before, this got me sucked into this book, because after this sentence you most likely want answers...

"Every morning I wake up and I tell myself this: It’s just one day, one twenty-four-hour period to get yourself through." 
(From Where she went by Gayle Forman)
This sentence just straight up describes a part of my life and after I read it, it stuck with me. 

"I just punched a girl in the face." 
( From Maybe someday by Colleen Hoover)
I remember reading this and I had to double-check it, because it was so weird. This is definitely one of the funniest first lines I have ever read.

"I suppose a lot of teenage girls feel invisible sometimes, like they just disappear."
(From I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter)
This is just relatable in my opinion.  

"So she tells me, the words dribbling out with the cranberry muffin crumbs, commas dunked in her coffee." 
(From Wintergirls by Laurie hale Anderson)
For some reason this sentence stuck with me, because it's so absurd, don't ask why. Plus it's the first line of an amazing book.

What are your favourite first lines from books you've read? Make sure to leave a comment about it and I'll be back with a new post on Sunday.
Until next time 
B

No comments:

Post a Comment