1/29/2017

Heartless by Marissa Meyer book review


Hello Everyone,
I hope you're all having an amazing weekend, in todays post I am going to review Heartless by Marissa Meyer and I am so excited to share my opinion about it, because this book is one that I have so many mixed feelings about. When I first heard that this book is going to be released, I wanted it in my hands right away. It had everything in it and yet it I had a few problems with it. So keep on reading, if you want my further opinion on this book.


The synapses:


Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.
At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.



My Thoughts:


I wanted to love Heartless so much, but I had a few problems with it and it just wasn't the book for me. I mean there were so many things that could make this book out of this world, for example it takes place in Wonderland and it's a villain origin story and did I mention it takes place in Wonderland?! I love Alice in Wonderland and I was so happy when I saw this book. The writing was beautiful, Marissa Meyer managed to recreate the world and for me the way she described it made it more like our world, but a bit crazier. I want to live in this Wonderland. But I don't know why, Marissa Meyers writing is just not for me. Something is just not compactible with my mind, I don't know why. I tried to read her books in Hungarian as well as in English and although I loved the stories and characters, her books just aren't for me. Other than that, I liked this book and I would totally recommend for everyone, who loves a good retelling or a villain origin story.
The characters were crazy enough and even Catherine didn't annoy me, although at the beginning of the book I was a bit worried she will. She was brave and kind and pretty normal, but also very passionate, I can understand why everyone thought she would make a great queen. Also I think she could have been a very good business owner (if they would have let her). To be honest, I liked her a lot at the end and I love the way she became evil, because a lot of times people get "sour" after they lose a loved one instantly and in this case she gave her heart for revenge. I think it made the whole character of the Queen of Hearts a bit ironic, at least for me, because I think its funny that the Queen of Hearts doesn't actually have a heart. I can totally understand why she did what she did, because in a lot of times people can't or don't want to live with their grief. She choose the easier way and whether she did it to get revenge or not, in that position her heart was something she could live without.
Jest was the perfect Joker and I never really knew, whether his intentions were clear or not honestly, but he was just the right character to make Cath question everything about her life.
The king was....the king. He is the weakest person I have ever seen in books, I don't even understand how the kingdom is still his and in one piece. He is a typical king, who never really wanted power, he just inherited it and I fully understand why Cath didn't want to marry him.
Seeing the Mad Hatter before he got mad was kind of a surreal experience, because in my opinion he never was normal. That's kind of how I imagined him.
All in all, I would recommend reading this book to everyone who loves the world of Alice in Wonderland or if you simply want to read a villain origin story.
This was my overall opinion about this book,I hope you enjoyed reading it and if you want to, let me know your thoughts in the comments below and I will be back with another blog post next week.
Bye,
Bianka

No comments:

Post a Comment