7/24/2016

My Lady Jane book review

In today's review I am going to talk about a book, which was super hyped-up around the book-community. Because of that I am a little bit nervous about writing this review. I have heard nothing but great things about this book and going into it I was super excited, but I think my expectations were too high. It was a great, enjoyable read, don't get me wrong, but I would have loved it even more if there wasn't any hype around it. I am almost afraid to start these kind of books, because most of the time I don't like them as much as I want too. Tell me in the comments if I am not alone, because I start to think that I am just picky.
So lets jump right into today's book review and the book is My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton.
The synopsis:

The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history—because sometimes history needs a little help.
At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren’t for Jane to worry about. Jane gets to be Queen of England.

Like that could go wrong.

I would definitely want to keep this as spoiler free as possible, so I am not going to go into details about the plot. This book seemed to me kind of a historical fiction novel, with a fantasy twist. Usually fantasy books don't really catch my attention, so why did I buy this exactly?! The humor. All of the reviews I read said, this book has a good amount humor in it.  And they were right. Whenever the plot slowed down a little bit (honestly it happened a lot) and you just wanted to put this book down, a joke or a little sarcasm was there and you wanted to continue on, because it just "hit" you out of nowhere and you were curious if there is more. I don't say often that a book is funny, but this one is, without forcing it. And lucky for me, I even liked the fantasy part of the story. People changing into animals is even cool in my opinion.
The main character, Jane is a book lover and because of that I couldn't hate her when she was annoying. I think it was really funny, that whatever situation they got into, she has read a book about it. G was like any teenage boy and yes, sometimes he was annoying too, but I could understand him and that is always a plus point in a book. I think every teenager feels like running away at some point. Edward is the same, but he has to be a king and he doesn't really care about it at the beginning, but at the end I think he becomes stronger and more like a king. Mary and Lord Dudley were the perfect evil characters with obvious intentions, their characters were enjoyable. Gracie was kind of a side kick to Edward along the way and their romance was definitely the cutest thing in this book. Another good thing was the relationship between Jane and G. It wasn't insta love and it wasn't over-thought and all romantic, it just slowly developed between them and it wasn't too much in the way of everything and everyone else in the book. It was settle and simple.
And the best thing was how almost every character in the book has gone trough character-developement throughout the story. This is why this book got the 4th star on goodreads. Love when characters change throughout a book, because it just gives a lot of different aspects of a character and it is what makes them real and relatable, because let's face it: we all change through life.
I think if you haven't read this book and want to read an enjoyable, funny and cool story this summer, definitely pick this book up, you won't regret it. And if you have read it, tell me your opinion in the comments, because as always I am always curious. I hope you have an amazing summer so far,
Bianka

No comments:

Post a Comment