5/06/2016

The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski review

Hi Everyone, 
I know it's been a long time since I have posted a review, but now I finally have the time to write one about the Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski.  This is the 3rd book in the series and I couldn't wait for it to come out. But at the same time I didn't know if the author is capable of giving the right ending to the series. I don't even know why I doubted. If you haven't read the first two books in the Winner'
s trilogy or the 3rd, don't continue reading if you don't want to be spoiled.
So overall I think it was a great book and it was a good closure for this series. Although there were some weird situations. First, is it just me or the fact that Kestrel forgot everything by the time Arin came to save her, felt like a telenovela?! It was a risky move from the author, but it fit perfectly into the plot. I liked that it was taking place in the war and as a character both Arin and Kestrel grew so much. At first I was a bit nervous about Kestrels amnesia, but at the end I get why it was necessary. Kestrel needed this dramatic change of heart, in order to participate in the story of this book. And Arin is still one of my favorite character in this series, because he grew so much and changed so much, while staying true to himself. The thing, which bothered me was the God of Death inside of his head. I don't know what was the purpose of it, but it was really bothering me. It could've been represented as a simple inside voice or something.
My favorite character in this book was definitely Roshar. He always knew what to say, whether something serious or funny. It would have been interesting to see some of the chapters from his point of view. And the friendship between him and Arin was one of the best bromances in YA in my opinion.
When Kestrel and the General met at the end it was very emotional, at least for me and in my opinion it was one of the most heartbreaking scenes of the book. Reading that scene, I didn't know what to expect, because it was such a weird situation in my opinion and there wasn't really a good solution to the problem.
The war part of the story was very realistic and well written and I felt like I am actually on the battlefield. Speaking of that, I don't think this war will ever be over and at some point in the book it was revealed. I liked this negative aspect to the ending and deep down it made the goodbye from the series a little less sad, because I know these characters will always be up to something.
The writing was also very amazing, although trough the middle it was a little bit slower, but it was slow at the right points of the story. I'm going to be honest, dual point of view was never my favorite in books, but Marie Rutkoski made me love it. It switched between Arin and Kestrel right when something important was about to happens I had to keep reading. 
Needless to say my love for this series only grew after this book and I am very glad that after the second book I didn't put it down. If you have read this series, what was your opinion about it? Leave a comment down below.
Until next time,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment